Temporomandibular disorder, also called TMD, occurs when the joints in your jaw become damaged. The jaw consists of a highly complex ball and socket joint that can suffer from a myriad of ailments. Always follow safe guidelines on what you can do to prevent injury or avoid unnecessary risks to the temporomandibular joints. If you think you may have TMD, here are some common symptoms to watch for:
– Do you have any joint pain when your jaw is moving?
– Do you have any muscle stiffness or pain around your head?
– Do you get headaches?
– Is there any popping or clicking sounds when you open your jaw?
– Does your jaw ever lock up?
– Do you suffer from arthritis, jaw dislocation or injury, tooth and jaw misalignment issues, stress, anxiety, or bruxism?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from TMD. Treatment is available. Our team at Pacific Coast Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery can help you deal with pains associated with TMD. Listed below are some recovery treatments for temporomandibular disorder:
– You can follow exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen your jaw muscles. – Some medications, such as muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can help with TMD.
– Bruxism treatments for grinding your teeth can be minimized with bite plates or night guards.
– Avoid extreme movements to your jaw, including deep yawns and chewing gum.
If you think you suffer from TMD, you can schedule an appointment with us by calling us at 818-365-5636, and speak with a member of our team. Our office is located in Glendale, California. We look forward to fixing your smile!