There are many changes and rites of passage that occur in the life of teenagers and young adults, and one of these is wisdom teeth removal. Some may feel nervous or uncertain about this procedure, but you don’t have to worry when you visit Pacific Coast Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Keep reading to learn more about how wisdom teeth removal can protect your oral health and how we perform this treatment.
Problems Caused By Wisdom Teeth
The wisdom teeth were necessary in the mouths of our ancient hunter-gatherer ancestors, but in modern times, our jaws are too small to hold these third molars. Because of our jaw size, wisdom teeth often only partially erupt or remain impacted under the gum line, causing problems like:
- Damage to the adjacent teeth
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Crooked teeth
- Pericoronitis infection
- Damage to neighboring teeth
How We Remove Wisdom Teeth
Our doctors and team have the training and skill needed to carefully remove your wisdom teeth so you can heal well and experience the benefits of improved oral health. The procedure for wisdom teeth removal usually goes as follows:
- We will put you to sleep with general anesthesia and then numb your mouth with a local anesthetic.
- If your wisdom teeth are still impacted, we will expose them by making incisions in your gum tissue.
- We will remove the teeth, and we may break them into pieces to make the extraction easier.
- We will clean the area
- We will suture the gums
After this procedure, we will give you after-care instructions as well as prescriptions for pain medication and antibiotics so you can heal comfortably and without complications. Please call Pacific Coast Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery today if you have any questions about wisdom teeth removal.